When I opened an aspx page, or view in Visual Studio 2008 after a few keystrokes Visual Studio ‘froze’, I could not do anything with it anymore, like a modal dialog was open, only it was not.

Ofcourse I killed the proces in Task Manager and tried again and again, and again, and…
It is realy frustrating, after searching the web for some time i finally found this microsoft connect issue. It looks like MS knew, or should know about this for  some time.

Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component
The Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component is used by Microsoft Office and Visual Studio.
I upgraded from Office 2007 to office 2010, which changed the Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component Visual Studio 2008 is depending on.

The steps to fix this issue are different for the different flavours of Visual Studio (Express, Pro, Team Suite etc.) But here you can find the right steps for your configuration.

I removed the Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component, installed the version from the Visual studio installation DVD and reinstalled Visual Studio SP1

 

Henry Cordes, My thoughts exactly...
My thoughts exactly…


Doing a migration of a CRM 4.0 system from one environment to another, I ran into this problem:
The target environment was a test environment and the owner of the environment assigned ‘only’ 2 GB of RAM.

CPU 100%
Immediately after I imported the organization using the Deployment Manager, the CrmAsyncService spiked the CPU and the memory load up to nearly 100% constantly…

Solution
Because we migrated from a machine that had enough RAM to a machine with 2GB (on a 64 bit machine…), the solution was to change the values of the fields ‘IntColumn’ in the Table: ‘DeploymentProperties’ of the ‘MSCRM_CONFIG’ database where the ColumName equals ‘AsyncInMemoryHigh’ and ‘AsyncInMemoryLow’.

crm_asyncsettings
Fig 1: DeploymentProperties table

The values that worked for us are:

ColumnName IntColumn
AsyncInMemoryHigh 50
AsyncInMemoryLow 20

These values are a lot higher in a default Crm implementation, something like 5000 and 2000, so the values I use here are only in case of very low memory.

After a restart of the CrmAsyncService (kill process and manually restart service, or wait for it to come up again), the problem was gone and Performance Monitor showed that the workflows (which caused the problem) where processed again.

What these settings do is they dictate the CrmAsyncService to take the amount specified in the AsyncItemsInMemoryHigh IntColumn of tasks to process in memory (and no more than is specified).
The service will process these tasks one at a time, untill it reaches the amount specified in the AsyncItemsInMemoryLow IntColumn, it than takes the amount of tasks in memory, that are specified in the AsyncItemsInMemoryHigh IntColumn again, until there are no more tasks to process.

Henry Cordes
My thoughts exactly…